Monday, May 4, 2009

5-4-09 Terliynn's Trek; Tick, Tick, Tick!

So with three days to go before I go assure The Husband and I get decent seats for the 7:00 pm show Thursday night, I've seen a huge push from Trekkies in their excitement and frankly, from the media itself.

And yes, even me.

First, I was glad to hear that the former Trek stars were invited to attend the LA Premier. I was happier still to see that many of them showed. Trust me, this goes a long way to showing that even if old Trekkies hate this movie, we're still all Trekkies (no matter what the new kids think.)

Second, I've never apologized for my unbridled excitement over the CG and the action this movie looks like it will have. My recent viewings of the scenes showing Bones have just tickled me to death. McCoy is one of my favorite…let me rephrase that…McCoy IS my favorite TOS character and just the few snippets I saw with Karl Urban as McCoy and I found myself squeeing out loud.

Third, I'm just ready to see the damn film already!!! It's been held over for five months and it's been in the can since December! For crap's sake…let's just get this over with!

I know many people who have seen the film already and have been ever-so-kind as to not say a word about it until Friday, after the official opening. For that I am forever grateful. I can't WAIT to be able to talk about it with all of you!

To that end I have to say, I'm not sure how I will handle my review. I guess it depends on how I feel afterward.

I'm not a person who should really sit down and write immediately after seeing a film. Normally I need to verbalize my thoughts with The Husband first so I can really let my thoughts gel into a cohesive and understandable framework, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that. We'll see. I may wait until Friday to really get my review out with foundations for any arguments I MAY have…

In the meantime, I've been on Twitter, Facebook, TrekUnited, The OmegaSector (TrekCore) and the like, fielding the amazing amount of Trek stuff that we're being blitzed with.

Burger King's tie-in is hilarious: www.whenkingonsattack.com it's just a pure laugh-fest, trust me. (Thanks to Captain_Hair for the tip on this one…I laughed all afternoon!)

The Onion's SLAM on Trekkies is painfully funny (and I do mean painfully):


Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'



(I can't wait to see what Dennis Rayburn at Roddenberry.com has to say about this! We were both rather taken aback by the use of the term "hack" with Gene Roddenberry's name, but we both know they meant it as a joke. Still, it's worth a retort and I'm hoping he'll make one!)

But this one week blitz may not be enough. I hope it is. The movie really does need to succeed. But Wolverine pulled in $87 million last weekend. It's going to be real competition. I still think Trek will do very, very well.

We'll see!

Oh…and any of you forum administrators out there….tell me, how do you plan on dealing with this on your forums. Are you setting up separate threads yet? Have you gone to Star Trek 09 (or in some cases Star Trek AU) so not to confuse it with TOS?

I'd like to hear from you…

No comments:

Post a Comment